Sunday 17 October 2010

Cancer sufferer becomes father 14 years after freezing his sperm


An infertile cancer sufferer is now a father, thanks to freezing his sperm 14 years ago before his chemotherapy.

James Hodgson, 28, was 14 when he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma after finding a lump on his neck.

He froze his sperm before undergoing intensive chemotherapy, as he was warned the treatment would make him infertile.

Miracle daughter Lily, now 14 months old, was born after Mr Hodgson and his wife Claire, 31, tried for a baby using IVF.

'When we found out Claire was pregnant, it was amazing,' said Mr. Hodgson.

'I was very open when I met Claire about my past. We got married in 2007 and started trying for a baby in 2008.

'It was quite tough-going. IVF is an emotional process, I found it very frustrating that there wasn't anything I could do.'

Mr Hodgson - from Fareham, Hampshire - was given the all-clear at the age of 22, after numerous check-ups and X-rays.

He now says: 'As a teenager I didn’t fully understand the implications of what I was being told. I was a bit shocked. It’s only really now that I am able to appreciate how serious the situation was.

'Now as a father, when I look back there were many kids younger than me. I understand the importance more than I did when I was 14. It breaks my heart to see so many youngsters suffering with this illness.'

As a teenager, he missed around four months of school to undergo the gruelling 14-month chemotherapy treatment, and is now taking part in the Great South Run to raise money for Piam Brown ward at Southampton General Hospital where he was treated.
'It’s always been an ambition of mine to give something back to the ward,' he said. 'They do such a fantastic job.

'The training is going very well. I have had a lot of encouragement from my friends and family. I have never really been a runner. This will be the first running event I have ever taken part in.'

The run will take place on Sunday, October 24, and will set off from Southsea.

For more on this story follow the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319564/Cancer-sufferer-father-14-years-freezing-sperm.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz12biEJCep

No comments:

Post a Comment